Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Berry Fruitful Garden

Thursday night I received a panicked phone call from my father. He was leaving town in the morning and had just discovered that his raspberry patch was bursting at the seams with plump ripe fruit (I guess this mediocre, wet July we've been having was to the plants' liking). He had already picked 14 pints and couldn't do anymore. He implored me to come over on Friday and harvest what I could. I did. Ten more pints came off of the berry laden canes. Today my sister and brother-in-law harvested the remaining eight pints. That's 32 pints! Most have been frozen, some ear-marked for jam and of course more than a few eaten. In honour of this berry extravaganza here is my mother's raspberry pie recipe (the only thing I truly craved when I was pregnant with my five year old). Enjoy!

Grandma Nancy's Glazed Raspberry Pie
(Makes one 9" pie )

Ingredients:
1 quart raspberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt

Cook 1 cup of crushed berries with the other ingredients until thick. Pour this over the remaining whole berries in a baked pie shell. Chill.
Serve with whipped cream.

1 comment:

Shari said...

I've been up the wazoo in raspberries!!! I've made 2 of Mom's Glazed Raspberry Pies and 2 batches of raspberry jam...I'm an ooey gooey (albeit sweet) mess!