Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Bucket List

Last night my hubby and I watched the Jack Nicholson/Morgan Freeman movie The Bucket List. If you haven't seen it, the story is about two terminally ill men who become friends and vow to complete a list of must do things before they "kick the bucket."

While this movie plays on the old cliche "live everyday like it was your last" it really struck a nerve for me. It brought memories of my mother flooding back. The two characters in this story have the ablility and means to travel the world completing their inventory of dying wishes. My mother never had their fortunate opportunity. She was admitted to the hospital and did not leave again, her "bucket list" never even a possibility. What is so heartbreaking is that the only item on her list was simply to "go home."

So now that I've depressed you, there is a point to my post. And it is that cliche. And maybe it takes a mediocre Hollywood production to drive it home, but life is short. Opportunities are often limited so ...
take that leap of faith ...
dance like nobody's watching ...
remember it's not the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away ... Take your pick.
Live life to it's fullest and in the immortal words of Miss Frizzle,
"Take chances, make mistakes, get messy."

Now, go make that bucket list! (by starting this blog I've already begun working on mine)

1 comment:

Shari said...

You're right...life is just way too unpredictable! I'm going to start working on that list too.
Love S