Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Night Caller

Last night was the first in many that both my girls were having a good sound sleep and neither had awakened me. I was lost in a beautiful slumber when at 3:00 a.m. I was roused by the shrill ringing of the phone. My thoughts immediately flew to my grandmother and father. My granny is 88 and hasn't been well lately. My father has a chronic form of cancer which is currently flared up. I scrambled to answer the phone.

caller: (teenage male voice) Hi!
me: Who is this?
caller: Rodney
me: I think you have the wrong number.
caller: (said very flirtatiously) Oh, I don't think so ... (I'm beginning to feel slightly creeped out)
Actually I'm just really lonely and am randomly dialling numbers trying to find someone to talk to. (now I'm beginning to feel annoyed)
me: Rodney, I have two young kids and need to be up early in the morning.
caller: Oh, sorry. Have a good night ... (cut off by me hanging up)

By this point I was fully awake. Initially I felt a pang of guilt. What if Rodney really did need someone to talk to? I replayed (repeatedly) the conversation in my head. I came to the conclusion that he was a little too peppy and "friendly" to be someone in crisis. Then I kicked myself that we don't have caller I.D. I would have loved to have phoned young Rodney at 6:30 this morning to tell him that I was now fully awake and would really enjoy having a little chat. Sheesh! It's bad enough that my own children disrupt my sleep on a regular basis. Now, on a night they decide to give me a break I have somebody else's kid waking me up!

No comments: