Monday, September 1, 2008

September - Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

Ok, ladies (and concerned gentlemen) here is your public service announcement for the month. I will risk sounding like a broken record here (I know I've posted about this before) but it's a message that bears repeating.

As many you you know I lost my mother a year and a half ago to ovarian cancer. My sister has tested positive for BRCA2, one of the gene mutations related to breast & ovarian cancers (thanks merely to a roll of the dice I am, and therefore my biological daughter is also, BRCA2 negative).

This disease is the fifth leading cause of death amongst women and the most deadly form of cancer a woman can develop. It is extremely hard to detect. Often the symptoms are vague and mimic other illnesses. Doctors frequently miss the signs. Early diagnosis, and therefore education is crucial in beating this disease.

Here are some warning signs:
Abdominal bloating or discomfort
Changes in bowel function
Unexplained weight gain and a distended abdomen from fluid build-up
Nausea
Infertility or changes in menstruation patterns

If these symptoms persist for three weeks or longer you should see your health practitioner immediately.

For more information:

4 comments:

Ray Veen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ray Veen said...

Thanks, Tracey. I've worked on a lot of ovaries in surgery, but I know little about the disease itself.

Shocking, I know, but I assure you: I know exactly which instruments to pass the surgeon and when.

That deleted comment was me. I forgot to say, "you go, girl".

I admire your activism.

Shari said...

Keep spreading the word!!! I'm sure I sound like a broken record too! It's the only way.

Elizabeth said...

PS.
to add to my other comment on post below.
I have also put S in school during G's naptime so that I have quiet time at home daily from 12-2 to write write write.

Sorry I know this post is on the important topic of cancer. i don't mean to minimize it.