Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Writer in absentia

With all the fine fall weather we've been enjoying it's been way too hard to park my butt at the computer and try to bang out something on the keyboard, especially since autumn is my most favorite time of the year. Call me a slacker, but a brisk walk (kid-free!) on a sunny September morning is wayyyy more appealing! I've taken three of late (completely self-indulgent).

It hasn't been a complete waste of valuable work time though. I find walking time is great for bouncing ideas around in my head. I've mulled over the angle of a piece I want to propose to a veterans' magazine, put it aside and focused on a cultural idea, and am now planning a kids' sports article while also plotting a short (?) story. Even if none of this is actually on paper (or my hard drive) it still counts. Kind of. Doesn't it?!

3 comments:

Ray Veen said...

One of my favorite parts of the writing process is that wistful, free-thinking, creative time that comes before the actual writing. Especially while walking or driving past scenic locales.

Indulge. You have my permission.

Just be sure to eventually move on to the 'writing' part of the writing process.

Elizabeth said...

Thinking while walking is 90% of a writer's life. Carry on!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it J K Rowling who on a train ride came up with her succesful idea and then for a couple of hours just had to think about the story because of a lack of pen and paper and that she claimed that that probably was good for the development of the story, since it wasn't fixated too fast on paper?