Sunday, December 21, 2008

Stranded


Yep. We are. Stranded. We were heading home from our weekend Christmas celebration at my in-laws. We knew the last portion of highway heading north to our town was closed, so we drove inland to come in from the east. By the time we were about 40 minutes from home the other highway was closed. We are now camped out in a small motel in the middle of no where. But it's all good. The kids are using my hubby as a jungle gym and we are able to piggyback on someone's wireless internet connection. The plan is to watch Christmas shows and brew up some hot chocolate in the coffee maker. It's actually kind of fun.

Update: ('cause I'm bored and this is ceasing to be fun) The above map shows the road conditions in our part of the province. The black bolded highways have poor visibility. The little signs with diagonal lines mean that the road is closed. The conditions are far worse now than when we set out this afternoon from the in-laws. I hope this doesn't mean that we will be stuck here at the Bates Motel tomorrow. The latest reports are that the plows have been pulled off the roads in the three surrounding counties. This is not unusual for our part of the province, but it is for so early in the winter. And we are usually snug in our comfy little home snuggling with the kitties by the fire and sipping hot chocolate, not in a motel on the side of the road ... at least this will make for a good Christmas story in the years to come.

14 comments:

Ray Veen said...

I laugh at your strandedness. Why we so stranded this one time... hmmm...

Can't really top that.

Doesn't sound too bad, though. Think you can get old man winter to foot the bill to make up for the inconvenience?

Tracey said...

I laugh at you laughing at my strandedness ...
Can you tell I'm bored? It's 9:28, everyone else is asleep and hubby made me turn the tv off.

I wish old man winter would foot the bill. The opportunists who are running this joint burned us $90 and let's just say this is hardly the Hilton, or Super 8 for that matter.

D & S said...

Sorry to hear that you're stranded. I heard things are pretty bad out there. Hope the roads clear up in the morning so you guys can be on your way.

Take care.

Vikki said...

Oh, dear...now that is an adventure! This weather is insane. I hope there's a break in it so you can get home!!

Amy said...

You poor thing! Hopefully you'll get a break in the snow tomorrow so they can at least get the plows running enough to clear the roads for you!

Captain Goldensword - superhero of righteousness said...

No need for plows, citizen, for I am on my way to save you. Simply wave a white sheet out your window, and I will see it from the sky and swoop down and fly you and your entire family home in your car.

Wave your sheet on three. One... two... THREE!

Hmmm... Captain Goldensword sees no sheet. Perhaps we should try printer paper -- or bread! Yes, bread! You could hold a piece of bread in each hand and wave it out your hotel window and I will see it from the sky and...

Sarah J Clark said...

You're TOTALLY one of the cools kids. I'm kicking myself for not linking to you.

I'm professing my snobbish love of your blog here and now! =)

xo

Tracey said...

Thanks S! I was beginning to get flash backs to high school!

roscoepc1 said...

Tracey! Where ARE you?????
Hwy 9 is open now...does that help????

If you can get to Ripley, you know your'e welcome here!

Tracey said...

Thank you Captain Goldensword, but alas there was no bread to wave.

Laura,we were in Wingham, but we are home now. We came across 86 to Ripley and up to the south line.

Elise Murphy said...

Ack! And I thought we had it bad. We can leave the house, as long as all five of us pile in the truck together, and we dodge various snow storms and blizzard warnings.

So glad you're home . . . the Bates motel is not conducive to the holiday spirit.

Elizabeth said...

Now is a great time to take up knitting!

Tracey said...

E - I already knit. I even had a project I'm working on with me, but I forgot it in the van and there was no way in hell I was going back outside to get it!

Captain Goldensword - superhero of righteousness said...

You never intended to wave the bread. Did you?