Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Obama envy ...

Tomorrow Barak Obama makes his first official visit to our beautiful country and the Canadian media is acting like a giddy school girl. But can you blame them? This man has made history. This man is hope incarnate on so many levels for so many people. This man inspires. Is it any wonder that it's not just the American people who are enamoured with him? Don't we all wish we had an Obama?!

I think this envy is felt not just for the man himself. As a Canadian I feel envious that our southern neighbours have found a leader that excites his people. He aspires for a better country and leads his citizens to follow that dream. He is someone that his people trust. While I wish Obama was born in Halifax rather than Hawaii, I have to accept reality. He's already taken. In the mean time we are left pushing our noses against the glass and dreaming about what our neighbours are so lucky to have found. Of course there is that guy named Trudeau ... I guess we'll just have to see what ten years or so bring ...

5 comments:

Elise Murphy said...

I watched him speak this morning in AZ and the crowds were going wild - cheering, hooting, smiling. What a miracle to see that after 8 long years of Bush.

He is such a dynamic speaker and a very very thoughtful and intelligent man. I am smitten.

Ray Veen said...

Smitten is a good word. I like that he's still so focused on his family. And basketball.

Shari said...

We will have our Obama and his name is Trudeau...I truly believe that. I got a recorded phone call from the Liberal Party yesterday and it was none other than Justin Trudeau himself...not Iggy, or any other "higher up"...it was Justin. We just need to bide our time....and his time will come!!!

Tracey said...

E/V - Who isn't smitten?

S - Hey we never got a call from Justin. No fair!

Vikki said...

I know, it feels so strange (and wonderful at the same time) to have a president that I get excited about!