Thursday, August 7, 2008

Missing a homeland that's not my own ...

Tomorrow is the opening of the Beijing Olympics. I have been watching the coverage leading up to the games with a lot of interest and emotion. It was a year ago this week that we were packing our bags and boarding a plane to Beijing. We were embarking on a trip of a lifetime to bring home our daughter.

It was exciting to be travelling to such a foreign land. But what I never expected was to fall in love with that land. I can't say that it was love at first sight. It was a gruelling trip, mixed with strong emotions. But through the mental haze my brain managed to grasp onto the tastes, the smells, the beauty, the people.

Now when I see the familiar sights flashing across my tv screen I feel a strange longing. I miss China. I read about friends preparing to embark on their own journeys to bring their new children home and I feel envy.

I believe much of my affinity for China has to do with the fact that it is my child's homeland. It is where she is from. It is part of who she is.

As I spend the next few weeks being bombarded with images of this familiar foreign land I will feel a strong melancholy. I feel it now. One day I will return to China and introduce my daughter to the home that I miss so much.

2 comments:

Kay Bratt said...

That is a mvoing post, and so neat that you plan to take your daughter back to her roots one day. All children should know their heritage.

Just hoppin' thru.

Kay

Rosie said...

I feel connected to China and I have been learning Mandarin and we have a Chinese student living with us and I know our local Chinese community.The landscape in China is beautiful.