Wednesday, August 20, 2008

One of those days ...

Today was not good. Low energy. Blah. It was a struggle to get through. I'm sure it got off to a bad start because of the lack of uninterrupted sleep from last night. Our five year old has a bad cough (allergy related) and was hacking unmercifully through the wee hours of the morning. At one point I had to relocate her to another room so she wouldn't wake the three year old.

Because of her bark, that seems to be settling into her chest, I kept our daughter home from day camp/swimming lessons today. Unfortunately her little sister had a speech therapy appointment out of town. So by 9 am we were all piled in the van and headed out on the highway. Half way there barky asked for the pewk bucket. A pail probably would have been more appropriate. Needless to say we didn't make it to our appointment.

Once back at home the day seemed to drag on. I felt like I could barely function. I was cursing the new "eating regime" I'm trying to stick to. I'm sure it was partly to blame for my lack of energy. And before any of you start in with the "are you crazy?! You don't need to lose weight!" let me just say you haven't seen me naked. Besides, I'm getting tired of camouflaging those little jiggly rolls under my clothes.

One o'clock rolled around. Thank gawd! The youngest will nap ... a reprieve! Or not. She decided that today she would like not to have a nap. No thank-you. No way. I think it's some sort of sick sense that children come pre-wired with. They can smell when you're weak and they will go for the kill every time.

I tried to relax for a few minutes and have a quiet moment in the family room (I'm not sure where the minions were by that point). One of our kitties decided to climb up on my lap. Nice kitty, purring, trying to make me feel better ... until he anchored himself to my leg with his claws and then swung off. Not only did he cut my leg, but my only pair of shorts that fit me decently (yes, I do need to lose a few). I don't think the day could get any worse. I was close to tears.

Then it happened. My wonderful, shining knight (ok, now I'm going to pewk! ha ha) My thoughtful husband sensed my distress during a phone call and cut his work out short to be home at his usual time and rescue me. After supper he whisked the kids away, not to return until just before bath time. Not only did he bring home two tired children, but also a bag of Lays. My hero! (I'll worry about counting points tomorrow).

1 comment:

Shari said...

A bag of Lays!!! He is a knight in shining armor!!!