Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Profound things a six year old wants to know at 6:50 in the morning ...

This morning our six year old crawled into bed with me. My husband had already left for work and it wasn't quite time to get our four year old up. My daughter and I enjoy these cuddle times. This morning she looked very serious. Then our conversation went like this:

M: Do cats die if they aren't sick?

me: Well, eventually they will when they get old.

M: Just like people?

me: Yes.

M: Why do people die?

me: Their bodies just get old and tired.

M: Will you die when I'm a teenager, or an adult?

me: Hopefully not until you're an adult.

M: Good. I've been worrying about that.

me: (snuggling her a little closer) You shouldn't worry about that honey.

M: OK. (brief pause) Why do we have lips attached to our faces?

me: Because if we just had a gaping hole for a mouth bugs and mice might crawl in.

The conversation suddenly came to a halt.

I know it's normal for kids to think about death and worry about the death of their parents, but I did find the randomness of her follow-up question pretty funny. I really do wonder what goes on in my kids' heads!

3 comments:

Sarah J Clark said...

I laughed out loud. I love the random thoughts of children. We should all be a little more spontaneous in our actions and thoughts.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Ray Veen said...

Good answers, Tracey. Except lips are there so we can go "thbtbtbtbt..."

Anonymous said...

Consider the reselling probable of the professional home just before investing in a deal. At some point down the road, it is advisable to offer your property you will be planning to acquire, so you should look at any aspects that could turn this into tough such as in close proximity planned developments, noise toxins levels, criminal activity figures and age the building. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Microecw2347[/url]