Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Consider the trigger pulled ...

It's official. I've registered. I'm NaNo'ing. I'm also crazy, but that's not news. Here's the thing, I want to write. I've been told I should write - by three teachers, assorted family & friends, a psychic and now a tarot reader. I'm thinking maybe it's something I should pursue. On the other hand, I'm big on procrastination, self-doubt etc. so NaNoWriMo is going to be my proverbial kick in the pants. That being said, I'm now feeling somewhat naseous and quite a bit like I did before I started training for my first duathlon ... scared crapless, not really believing that I could/would really do it. But, since I had publicly declared my intentions I felt compelled to press on. I didn't want to feel like a quitter, nor did I want others to see me as one (peer pressure is a powerful thing, even if it's just imagined). I sucked up the fear and did it. Then I did it again. I'm hoping NaNo has the same affect on my writing.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo here's the rundown - copied directly from their site ('cause I'm too worried about my own word count right now to be bothered rewriting someone else's stuff):

National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over painstaking craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.

Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.

As you spend November writing, you can draw comfort from the fact that, all around the world, other National Novel Writing Month participants are going through the same joys and sorrows of producing the Great Frantic Novel. Wrimos meet throughout the month to offer encouragement, commiseration, and—when the thing is done—the kind of raucous celebrations that tend to frighten animals and small children.

In 2007, we had over 100,000 participants. More than 15,000 of them crossed the 50k finish line by the midnight deadline, entering into the annals of NaNoWriMo superstardom forever. They started the month as auto mechanics, out-of-work actors, and middle school English teachers. They walked away novelists.

Wish me luck! If you're NaNo'ing too and want to be my buddy here's my link.

5 comments:

Vikki said...

Yay! I promise you won't regret doing NaNo. It's so fun. There will be points where you want to throw things and bang your head against the wall, but it's all worth it.

I added you as a buddy so we can call each other names if we get behind on our word count :>)

Ray Veen said...

I'm going to add you too.

(what's a duathlon?)

Ray Veen said...

I even sent you Nanomail. I'll bet Vivi didn't send you Nanomail.

(who's your favorite Nano writing buddy so far?)

Tracey said...

I could accuse Vivi of slacking, but I haven't sent her a Nanomail yet either ... I've just been trying to get a friggin' widget to work on my blog (they just want to be little red x's).

A duathlon is like a trialthon except with a second run instead of the swim (run, bike, run again).

Elizabeth said...

YAY!!!!!
Look at me!
I'm doing the wave for you!!
I'm excited for you Darling.
See you when the cock crows.
Though I'll be heading off to my other work, no not that one either, the other one.
Ta!