Thursday, November 27, 2008

Canada Reads!

This week CBC, our national broadcaster, announced the line up for "Canada Reads 2009". For those of you unfamiliar with this event it is kind of a combination virtual book club and debate. Every year Canada Reads features five Canadian works of fiction each of which are presented and defended by one of five Canadian celebrity panelists. The proceedings will be hosted by the always adorable Jian Ghomeshi and will take place the week of March 2 - 6. By the end of the week the Canada Reads panel will declare a winner (although I don't think there is much of a prize other than the honour and a nice jump in book sales). In the mean time you can wade into the novels and join in with the online discussion in the forum. Or, if you're like me, you can wait until the debate, let the panellists duke it out and then choose a book. And hopefully you'll discover some great Canadian lit along the way.

This year's line up:
This is the saga of a woman's life from childhood to slavery and finally freedom.
The Book Of Negroes is being defended by television host Avi Lewis.

A day in the life of the author's childhood neighbourhood in Montreal comes to life in this tale defended by radio and television broadcaster

Fruit by Brian Francis
This is the story of an overweight, unpopular thirteen year old growing up in the eighties in the largely blue-collar city of Sarnia. In order to deal with the ridicule of his peers the hero of this book retreats into his own imaginery world, complete with glamorous "Bedtime Movies" and a pair of talking nipples (hey, I'm not making this up!)
Fruit is being defended by Vancouver writer and radio personality Jen Sookfong Lee.

Mercy Among The Children by David Adams Richards
This novel set in the Miramichi region of New Brunswick examines the consequences when a boy vows to God that he will always turn the other cheek.
This title is being defended by singer/songwriter Sarah Slean.
The year is 1903 and a young woman finds herself on the run across Canada's west after becoming a widow "by her own hand."
Gemini award-winning actor and filmmaker Nicholas Campbell will be defending.


Happy reading!

4 comments:

Shari said...

Fruit sounds well, lets say, interesting...just may have to read it...well, just because!

Elizabeth said...

Didn't I comment here yet?
Yikes.
those books look good, recommend the ones you like to me after.
Hey, so any news with the newspaper job yet?

Tracey said...

Nope, which annoys the crap out of me. Their ad said "want to write a column? Let us know what you'd like to write about." So I did. Not even an acknowledgement of the email. Based on the quality of the paper lately though I'm not surprised. The editor writes 95% of the articles & their staff writer can barely string two sentences together. I think they have some serious staffing issues.

roscoepc1 said...

Book of Negroes is FAN-freakin-TASTIC! I'll lend you my copy once I get it back from Holly. It's very rare that I say this, as a voracious reader, but I literally couldn't put it down!
I had it as my "spare time read" on a camping trip with friends this past summer, and by the end of the weekend, I was the butt of everyone's humour. Set it down, scarf up some food, pick it up...set it down, race around the go-cart track, pick it up....